Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Week 29 Juneau by Lisa Bonean

I thought Fall was here!...the joke's on me this week as it is really hot, mid 90's and more.  Hoping for a cooler week next week. Time to decorate when I get a few deadlines out of the way. I do have 2 pumpkins on the porch, need a third. 

Here we are again.  Didn't we just make a pumpkin block?  This week is Lisa's turn and she has brought us a fun block called Juneau.
This block is making me long for Alaska.  Hmm, bet it is cooler there!!!
 All prints this time are from Rachel Remembered. I varied from the pattern placement of light, medium and dark prints just a tad.  I'm in a blue mood.  Not sad! I just like that blue right now.  Do you have favorite colors?  My favorites run in cycles. 

Question of the Week....Do you ever machine quilt your own quilts?  If  so, do you have any special tips?  I'll type when I finish laughing....Ok, I've composed myself...I'm absolutely pitifully hopeless at machine quilting.  I can quilt a grid or straight lines or follow a gentle curve, but NO NO NO ability to free motion quilt.  I bow to those with that talent.  My special tip...I quilt by check to lovely and talented women who make my quilts even better...Sheri, Karen and Maggi....thank you, for your talent!


  Click on Lisa's Blog for her pattern, tips and tricks for making this pretty block.
Be sure to visit my friends blogs to see what they have made.


Here is my 3" Mini Penny block for this week, made totally from leftovers on the cutting table.
First , I saved the the extra triangles when I trimmed the square in a square center.  I took a 1/8" seam and after pressing to the dark brown,
I trimmed the HST units to 1 3/8" square.  
Sew them together to make a tiny pinwheel block that measures 2 1/4"
Cut 2 - 3" squares, cut again once diagonally.  Yes they are big, but the pinwheel floats.  Sew the triangles to the pinwheel, pressing to the corners.  Trim the block to 3 1/2" for a 3" finished block.


Hope you enjoy making Juneau and have a good week sewing!
I'll be busy sewing too!!!

Until next time ~

Betsy

4 comments:

  1. Love this block and your mini! I am right there with you on the machine quilting thing. I'm o.k. As long as they are straight lines and the quilt is smaller than a breadbox. Hope things cool down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your colour placement in this week's block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do quilt all my own quilts. Thanks to many bloggers who I saw doing it, I asked for advice and got it. Also, there were a couple FMQ challenges with lessons from experts that I participated in. I can't say that I'm an expert, but I like that I can say I made the whole thing. There is more and more help available for those who want to quilt on their domestic machines - mine is a Janome 6600.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful block! BTW, Lisa's last name is misspelled in the title of this post.

    ReplyDelete