Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Week 33 Moda BlockHeads Starz by Jo Morton

Another week has flown by at lightning speed!
On to Week 33 with a cool star pattern by Jo Morton.   We designers are in the last week of prep for Market and if they are like me, there are not enough hours in the day!!! I'm still in quilting and binding mode.  It all gets done, even if I bind on the drive to Houston, no I'm not driving, just a passenger with a needle!


Question of the week...
It's Fall, Halloween is less than two weeks away and Christmas is in two months...do you make seasonal quilts? When do you start making them?
Well, if you have been following me for a while you know I love to decorate for the seasons. My favorites are Halloween and Christmas, but I enjoy seasonal color for spring and summer too.  Fall is about so much more than Halloween, and winter is more that just Christmas.  Since I collect folk art, Santas, black cats, jack o lanterns, etc., the decorating for them is more holiday specific. To highlight and compliment my pieces, I make quilts of the holiday colors, not holiday quilts...make sense?  I like quilts of red and green for Christmas, but for winter, I like red and cream, and blue and cream.  Those quilts display well at Christmas and throughout the winter season season.
For Fall, it's golds, browns, reds and oranges, but for Halloween I bring out the orange and black quilts.  I normally make a new orange and black or, a brown that is almost black, quilt each year for Halloween. but, not this year. I will make a seasonal quilt anytime the mood strikes me!
My advice is to Enjoy each season....bring the colors into your home.  In Texas Fall weather can sometimes arrive at Christmas! No kidding.  We don't have the colorful leaf changes as other parts of the country, so to enjoy fall color, we have to make or own!  
Here's a sampling of fall and winter, Halloween and Christmas....

New vignette this year.

Spice Box from Bramblewood in the chair.


A little Christmas

A little Thanksgiving

  a Bramblewood version of Mary Ann's Baskets

And now BlockHeads...

Thanks Jo, for this block.  I love it and made it very Fall-like.

 For Jo's pattern and tips, CLICK HERE to visit her blog.


I don't understand how taking pictures one after another can look so different...
Mysteries of photography!

Take your time with this block.  Parts are easy, but there are a lot of them.  I starched fabrics before cutting.  I like that.  And, it is a must for the mini!  I know we have a similar mini, but not a star in these colors.  ;-)

For the 3" mini block, made with the no waste method I detailed last week, cut
center square 2"
4 corner squares 1 1/4"
starpoint background (sky for geese) 1 square 2 7/8"
4 squares for starpoints 1 3/4"
Please refer to  my week 32 post if you need a refresher on no-waste flying geese.
Trim starpoint units to 1 1/4" x 2"
Geese are 3/4' x 1 1/2" finished.
Assemble in rows.

Hope you enjoy this week's offering!

FYI....lots of secret sewing has been taking place over the last year and more.  
Be watching for more information.

I will be making the next 2 blocks before I leave for Market and will schedule the posts to post at the correct time...LOL.  At least that is the plan.  Cross fingers that there are no glitches with Blogger.  If something goes wrong with the post, I'll post on Instagram for sure, and hopefully to Moda BlockHeads on Facebook. wish me luck, the internet has a mind of it's own, you know.

Also be sure to watch Instagram next week when I attend Quilt Market.  I can't wait to debut the newest line, Evelyn's Homestead, meet up with friends and see what the latest trends are.  Exciting times in our quilting world.
In other news, delivery of Grace's Garden shouldn't be too far away.  May it arrive soon to a quilt shop near you!

Now, please check out my friends and see what they have done.

Until next time ~
Betsy

4 comments:

  1. Your little vignette's are adorable. And, Bramblewood is still one of my favorite lines. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blocks as always the are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabrics you used in this block. Your decorating is "just right"... especially the quilts! Have fun at market...looking forward to seeing your new releases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Halloween and Thanksgiving vignettes! I'm saving this post for future reference!

    ReplyDelete