Wednesday, April 15, 2020

BlockHeads3 Week 14 Summer Breeze from Joanna Figueroa

Happy Wednesday! are you all caught up with BlockHeads 3?  Thank goodness I am! LOL. I love this week's block, number 14...Summer Breeze by Joanna Figueroa, of Fig Tree Quilts.  

As I said last week, I see images in the blocks, well most of the time.  That's how blocks were created, an image, stitched into a patchwork design. I just take it a little farther with a story. 
When you see Joanna's blocks think about what you see.
The first image, for me, comes from its name, Summer Breeze. I think back to summer evenings as a kid. We all  played outside every evening, Capture the Flag, or Kick the Can, mostly.  I loved those cool, dark evenings. Cool, not in temperature, but cool from the warm breeze that hit the mist that had fallen on fell on me, as I crouched in hiding, beneath Daddy's long row of mimosa trees. When in bloom they have a heavenly scent and drip this fine, but sticky, mist. One of the fabrics in my block, reminds me of the pretty pink mimosa blossoms.
And, when studying the block design, I see a spinning shape, like a child's pinwheel blowing in the wind.  Then, I thought of Daddy's tops, spinning tops, and placed them in the photo.  Comments last week from Krya and on Instagram mention tops, in connection with Daddy's marbles, so...


The glass one, was my Mom's. It came with candy inside originally.
My parents saved a lot of things!

Fabrics are from Sarah's Story and Nancy's Needle, which YAY, is now in shops.
I made the 8" version this week.



for the link to Joanna's blog to download the pattern and 
learn about her inspiration for Summer Breeze.

Thanks Joanna! I do love your block,and it was so much fun to make.
Be sure to visit all our designers to see what they have made this week.

Quilt is growing...won't be long and the blocks will outgrow the design wall.


Lastly, I'd like to share some photos I have taken of the quilts for Nancy's Needle and the booth from last October in Houston when Nancy debuted.
In case you didn't know, Nancy was my great great great aunt. She and my great great grandmother Lizzie were sisters and, Susanna was their younger sister.
Lizzie's family called Nancy, Kate, after her middle name Catherine.  Reading LIzzie's journals took a bit of deciphering to figure out exactly who was who.  Regardless, it was easy to see, they all were proficient seamstresses and quilters.

A Quilt for the Babe

Pins and Needles

 Travelers Welcome, on the table and School Daze on the green stool.

On the cupboard is Good Neighbors.

The booth.  On the right, Chasing Geese and County Fair.
Also, my friend Julie at Bits 'n Pieces made the very pretty star quilts. 
You can find them on her website. www.bitsnpieces.net

You know, I do love to photograph quilts as I use them in decorating the house.  It's been a fun diversion these quarantine days to change the quilts and make new displays.

I haven't forgotten, there is still a fun little something to come....
But, have to mix in some Nancy's Needles time  and start some secret sewing.
Never boring around here!

I even made masks for my daughter Rachel, husband Craig,
 and my darling grandkids, Madison and Reed.  

They did a pick up Saturday. Easter goodies and Madison brought us queso and chips. There's a story... for another time... Social distancing with Mimi and Grandad, of course.

Until next time, 
stay home, stay safe, stay well

~ Betsy

Sherri McConnell - https://www.aquiltinglife.com/
  Lisa Bongean - https://lisabongean.com/
Lissa Alexander - http://modalissa.com/
 Robin Pickens - https://www.robinpickens.com/


1 comment:

  1. Love your block, quilts, and the story, Betsy. That glass spinning top is pretty and so unusual.
    Kyra

    ReplyDelete